Is the Web Really in Trouble?

This morning I published a post on the Telerik Developer Network that asks the question “What’s Wrong with the Web?”? If you read about web development at all (and apparently you do, since you are reading this), you can’t possibly have missed the long list of posts declaring that the web, as we know it, is in serious jeopardy. The main issues are: …

The Web is Boring

When I was growing up, flying was fun. This wasn’t the kind of fun that a kid finds in simply new experiences - it was a legitimately enjoyable experience. The airport was a much less stressful place than it is today, with far less security and fewer lines. The planes seemed more spacious (though perhaps that part was really just that I was a kid). They served you food on most flights - with a real, metal fork and knife. Perhaps it wasn’t the greatest food, but wouldn’t we just love to get something, anything, nowadays? They’d even let kids...…

Tips for Writing for a Tech Audience

I’ve been writing articles and blog posts about web development and technology for a long time. The original version of this blog started in 2004, but by that time I’d already written a couple articles for the ultra-prestigious ColdFusion Developer’s Journal (it’s ok to feel jealous). However, I’ve also been editing articles and blog posts about web development and technology for a while too. It started when I was at Adobe helping to run the Adobe Developer Connection a few years ago and continued when I launched my own site (Flippin’ Awesome which is now Modern Web and not run...…

Why are Web Developers Hostile to Audio?

I like to talk and write about Web Audio. It can be a fun topic. However, most talks and demos fail to touch on anything useful. Sure, we can build drum machines and sequencers to our heart’s content, but how does this apply to 90% of the web? It doesn’t. Thus, when I speak or write about web audio it seems to draw a niche audience. …

Jekyll Versus the Competition

On Saturday, May 2, the first ever JekyllConf was held online and featured some really prominent speakers including Tom Preston-Werner and Brandon Mathis. I had the honor of opening the event with my session comparing Jekyll to other popular static site engine options including Harp, Hexo, Wintersmith, Hugo and Middleman. …

Tools for Writing and Converting Markdown

By now, most developers are familiar on some level with Markdown. It’s become a somewhat ubiquitous part of developer tooling, probably in no small part due to it’s usage for documentation in GitHub. It also plays a big part in nearly all the major static site engines. The power of Markdown and probably a significant reason for its success is in its simplicity. But this is also its biggest weakness. Developers love Markdown because it offers a shorthand for probably 80% of their writing use cases - things like blog posts and basic documentation. For the other 20%, developers have...…